Get involved in our volunteer programme and put your skills and knowledge to great use treating animals in Morocco. You will have the opportunity to gain experience of conditions rarely seen in the UK, develop your clinical skills, and exchange knowledge and ideas with local SPANA vets. Visiting different areas of Morocco, you’ll make a difference to working equids and the lives of families who depend on them.
How your expertise can help working animals
- Members of the SPANA team benefit from your experience and up-to-date knowledge
- Help to teach Moroccan vet students during their EMS
- A valuable cultural and language exchange
- Collect case studies and take photographs that can be used for publicity and fundraising
- Future support and fundraising for SPANA
Most of the work carried out by our volunteers is focused on horses, donkeys and mules. You’re likely to be placed in Marrakech initially, with a team that’s used to speaking English and working alongside volunteers.
We encourage our volunteers to spend at least two weeks with us, and up to four months (accommodation is provided throughout your stay). We cannot accept more than two volunteers starting at one time, but if you want to stay for longer than a month we can arrange for you to join up with one of our nine clinics in Morocco - this way, more volunteers can start in Marrakech, and other clinics can benefit from the programme. Places are offered on a first come, first served basis.
What you need to apply
- Full veterinary qualifications with a recognised degree (BVSc, BVM&S) - sorry, no students accepted for this programme
- Up-to-date CV, including details of two English speaking referees
- Covering letter explaining why you would like to volunteer, what you expect to gain from the experience and the qualities that make you suitable
- Independent attitude plus diplomatic style and adaptability to work in a different environment
- Ideally experience of travelling in less developed countries
- Ideally French language skills
For more information and to apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing for the programme
- Take out fully comprehensive travel and medical insurance
- Arrange and pay for your air fare
- Visit your GP for health advice on this region, book in a rabies vaccination course and make sure your tetanus is up-to-date
Making the most of your volunteer experience
On your return we’ll ask you to produce a 300-500 word report on your visit, including case studies and photographs. This piece of work will be extremely useful, giving us material for publicity and fundraising purposes. It’s also important that you spread the word about SPANA, and tell your colleagues and contacts about the programme and your experiences. We have a Practice Talk Pack you can use at client evenings and similar events to raise awareness of SPANA’s work.