As Saber had scratched his eyes and face against trees, fences and walls, the delicate skin had become raw and infected. Wounds began to form in places where he had tried to alleviate the discomfort. Without immediate intervention, the parasites would continue to cause irritation, which would in turn, lead to chronically infected lesions and possible blindness.
To treat the immediate soreness, the vets gently cleaned the wounds, disinfecting them with a topical antiseptic to prevent further complications. They also administered a dose of Ivermectin, an anti-parasitic drug that targets the worms at the root of the problem. The vets instructed Mohamed to return two weeks later for a second dose of Ivermectin, which would ensure that Saber was protected from the parasites in future.
In the meantime, the vets advised Mohamed on how to avoid a parasitic infection like this by keeping the animal’s bedding clean and dry which keeps flies and other insects away. When Saber’s eyes are fully healed, he can return to work; a more comfortable and happy animal. This is all thanks to your support.